Background

Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Little About Me

Well, I have a blog now! To tell you the truth I didn't think I'd ever need/want one. But I love to write, in fact my favorite school subject is Language Arts, though I still can't seem to perfect it :P So please excuse any grammar issues! I'm glad you can't hear me because I also have a knack for mispronouncing words! I guess being raised in the south you're just simple. If it looks like "Metallic" then it's pronounced "Met-el-ic" instead of "Met-AL-ic." (By the way, I never said it like that, my brother did lol) And who ever thought to put a B at the end of lamb and climb??? Probably a foreigner. HA!
Anyway, so I have a blog to share my thoughts and ideas and to once in awhile "publish" a little story. I've been writing stories since I was like...gee...11 or 12. I'm very protective of them though so I never let anyone see them. Not even my best friends or mother! I don't know, I guess I'm just afraid to. But I've decided I can't be my own critic forever so posting a story here and there is kinda a big step for me. I want people to be HONEST about what they think about it though. Don't ooo and goo just to make me feel good if really you're thinking, "My word, she actually POSTED that???" I really, really, REALLY admire honesty.
Which comes to the point of this post - me. Ha. Ha. It's mostly to let you all know who I am, what I think about certain things, and kinda get the "feel" of my personality. Then I'll post the interesting stuff ;)

So, already in my bio you know that I've been home-schooled all my life down here in AL, as well as all of my siblings, and that I hope to be a stay-at-home, homeschooler mom if I am blessed enough to get married and have children. I like homeschooling because the schedule is very flexible and you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn - I'm a sleepyhead. The cons of homeschooling is sometimes having the schedule TOO flexible makes you lazy. And you don't get to see your friends at school everyday. In fact you really have to plan a get-together if you ever DO want to see them haha! Or accidentally meet them in Wal-Mart ;)

Adventure-seeking. That's got me written ALL over it. Though I've surprised myself lately on how hesitant I'm getting. Maybe I'm getting too smart for my own fun? lol. Here's a story to get the idea of how I am in this area:
When I was 1 and my brother was 3, my Mom took us to the McDonald's play area. Everyone knows those slides can be pretty creepy when you're this itty bitty baby...and when the slides shock you and your hair frizzes out for "no reason." So my brother, well let's just say he's a bit more of a thinker than I am ;) He's always been that way. So he decided the slides were too scary. But little me, well I go climb right on up there! And then......I think about how scary it is! Of course Mommy is too big to come get me so finally Adam decides he must save me and he climbs up there to help me down. Isn't that sweet? But there's an idea of how I am: act first, think later lol ;) Sometimes good, sometimes REALLY bad.
So anyway after MUCH contemplation, I have finally decided that being an aircraft pilot can be exciting and adventurous forEVER! Not just the first year or 1-5 yrs. Flying a plane can't EVER get boring, right? I thought about Nascar but my mom really didn't favor that idea and who wants to go around in big circles all day long? The speeding is what I wanted! But airplanes can go that fast or faster and they actually GO somewhere. Plus there's not really anything to crash into hahaha :D So I'm safe ;)

Let's see...what else? Oh! Probably the #1 thing I believe in passionately (besides God of course...I guess that would make this #2 then...) Ok. The #2 thing I believe in so passionately is purity. I'll write my little "testimony" in another post but basically when I was about 12 0r 13 this couple named Ludy inspired me in the best possible way. I realized that keeping myself mentally and physically pure for my future husband was the absolute most wonderful thing I could do for him.  It is kind of depressing...no, it's REALLY depressing to think about the option that maybe I was meant to be single all my life. But if that is true then I still would stay pure before God because it's what's right. I believe you should do what's right even if there is no reward.

And now my hobbies. I love, love, LOVE to read! When I'd get in trouble, my mom would (*cough* WILL) take my books away. I mostly like romance novels, especially in the 1800's setting. I love Amish books too! And movies. Of course growing up with three boys most of my life I can really get into their movies too like The Patriot, Last Samurai, Ip Man, etc. Haha. But I adore Jane Austen too (can I get a cheer for "Emma"???) and Little House on the Prairie and those types. Mysteries are really awesome too!
Sewing and crocheting! I love both. I like to CREATE things, not mend them though ;) But I have to follow a pattern because I'm not really a creative person which I hate. It's like after age 5 imagination goes off :P For me anyway. I have some REALLY creative friends who are just like, "Oh I turned my old jeans into a purse!" and "Look! I drew Leviathan!" and "my old necklace broke so I turned it into earrings!" And I'm just like, "I donated my jeans to the thrift store, I drew a cabin on a hill, and when my necklace broke I kept it in the 'fix' bag where nothing ever gets 'fixed'." Haha. I have a fourteen year old friend who creates dresses out of the blue. Designs and SEWS them together with NO pattern! DRESSES!!! You know, the long, complicated clothing we wear? And I'm soooo jealous ;D Why can't I think to do cool stuff???
Dogs - Golden Retrievers in particular - are my favorite animal. In fact about a month and a half ago I bought a pedigree Golden Retriever puppy who is the absolute love of my life right now. Her name is Elsie. I just love, love, love her to pieces! I hope to breed her someday :)
I really love family time and doing things as a family, though I also love outings with my friends. But family bonds are just SO important to me. I've wished soooo often that I had been born a hundred years ago or so, even 50 years ago, just because back then everything seemed to revolve around family and respect. More than today that's for sure. I had a friend point out to me though that I need to quit wishing for something I can have or a place I can't go and figure out why God has me where I am. She's very wise ;) I love to reenact though! I've only been a part of one civil war reenactment but I had a "ball" haha ;) There twice where I looked up and all I could see were folks walking around in their period clothing and acting their part and I let myself believe that it was actually real. It was soooo wonderful.....

But anyway, as for my life recently we had a calf born, making our "cattle herd" a total of...400! Without the two zeros ;) So we have Nutmeg, Latte, Moo and an unnamed calf. Moo is Latte's calf. Get it? Moo-Latte? Ha. Ha. No, not funny? Ok :P Anyway, we milk Latte and should start milking Nutmeg pretty soon (anyone want lessons?). I really do like to milk, I just hate getting up so early to do it. Though Mom has gotten pretty lenient and we don't have to get up until 8am. And we're only milking once a day right now. I've  learned to REALLY appreciate calves when milking their mama though. If you don't have calf, but you have a milk cow, PREPARE to devote your LIFE to that cow! Can't GO anywhere, can't DO anything fun, always watching the CLOCK just to milk, milk, milk :P I wanna horse...at least you can ride those... But I guess I'm a REAL cowgirl because I milk a cow. Why do people call girls and boys who ride horses cowgirls and cowboys? Don't...don't answer that. It's rhetorical. They call them that because cowboys used to rides horses while the herded the cattle (a.k.a - cows). You knew that already? Well fine then. You know it again ;)

Well! I guess that's about it for tonight. Hopefully you get a general idea of who I am ;) More fun starts tomorrow! Orrr the day after......(;

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel!
    I enjoyed reading your premiere post...it is just like listening to you talk! It will be interesting to keep up with what's happening in your life.

    I agree that one of the downsides of homeschooling is not being able to see your friends as often as you might like. It's especially a challenge when you live "out in the country" like you and we do.

    Looking forward to reading more from "Dixie Girl".
    Mrs. Lavonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Mrs. Hart! I saw that some of y'all will be coming to Molly's party tomorrow so I hope to see y'all then! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool! i like this rachel! hope you update it often! i have thought of making a blog, but i don't have much interesting stuff to say except for stuff that would really go over people's heads like all my weird theological studies haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Danielle! I've loved creating it :D haha, yeah I can understand that ;) LOL well there are always ppl out there who understand and are willing to agree or argue with you ;) You really should make one - Daniell's Debates hahaha! Anyway, I'm hoping to keep it updated quite often, at least once a week. That is if anything interesting happens each week ;)

    ReplyDelete